Loading...
HDC_07 06 2000City of Little Rock HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION 6 JULY 2000 MINUTES LITTLE ROCK HISTORIC DISTRICT COMMISSION Commissioners Present: John Greer, Chair Jean Ann Phillips Wyatt Weems Mark Zoeller Commissioners Absent: Howard H. Gordon Staff: V. Anne Guthrie The meeting of the Little Rock Historic District Commission (LRHDC) was called to order. Roll call was taken; with a quorum, the minutes from the May meeting were approved unanimously. The first Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) application for consideration was: Applicant: Angela Murray Address: 309 East 14th Street Request: Install storm windows The applicant presented the request to install storm windows on 32 of the structure's windows. The storm window information was included in the packet; there is a screen on the lower half, which aligns with the sash rail. The color was presented. As there were no questions or objections, a motion was made to approve the COA request for storm windows, and it was approved unanimously. The second Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) application was: Applicant: Angela Murray Address: 1401 Cumberland Request: Install storm windows; demolish rear addition The first issue to resolve was the demolition of the two-storied structure's rear addition on the east elevation, which served as an enclosed stairway for the two apartments. Additional photos were passed around to demonstrate the rear addition's poor condition. It was constructed in the 1950s and is not original to the structure. The owner intends to erect a steel spiral staircase to the second storied apartment in order to meet code requirements for secondary access. There was discussion about the back entry and need for a protective cover for the doorways. Also, there was general discussion about the structure, its rehab and the front porch's duplication of railings for Little Rock Historic District Commission 6 July 2000 Minutes, Page 2 the second level. Greer made a recommendation that the COA request be amended to include the following conditions: the existing brick foundation will be retained; the wooden railing will match the existing front porch; and a steel spiral staircase on the southeast comer shall be added to comply with code. Also, should awnings be installed, drawings will be submitted for administrative approval. There was a motion to approve the COA request for 1401 Cumberland with the four (above-listed} conditions; it was approved unanimously. Under old business, the realtor for 1423 Cumberland was to submit an update on the structure being for sale but has not submitted one; the for sale sign is still present. Also, the owner of 1000 Rock was written several letters; her six-month period to comply with the district guidelines expired in July. The owner can be issued a criminal affidavit in order to come under the jurisdiction of the environmental court. An update was given on the 900 block of Scott and the asphalting of the parking lot and driveways; the owner has until October to comply. An update was presented of the two 1999 CLG grant projects; the architectural survey of Stiffts' Station and the housing infill plan will be completed by September. Part of the 2000 CLG grant award to the city was technical assistance for staff to attend an August meeting of the National Alliance of Preservation Commissions in Pittsburgh. The public art project at Kramer was discussed. As the project did not receive LRHDC approval, it was decided that someone come before the LRHDC to discuss the project and the long-term plan for public art at Kramer School. As there was no business, the LRHDC meeting adjourned at 5 :45 p.m.